Welcome to the Curious Cat Investing and Economics Carnival: find useful recent personal finance, investing and economics blog posts.
- 5 Unconventional Ideas That Really Shouldn’t Be – “Before going to college or graduate school, know if this large investment of time and money is the best investment for you. For some people, college or grad school is the best investment. For some, self-education is.”
- 12 Stocks for 10 Years: Oct 2010 Update by John Hunter – Google is the top holding and top performer up 184% since the inception of the fund, PetroChina is up 102% and Templeton Dragon Fund is up 100%.
- 7 Ways To Retire Rich and On Time by Laura Adams – “1) Start an investing routine as early as possible. It might surprise you to know that the most important factor for investing success isn’t the investments you choose—it’s time… Compounding interest is a powerful force that can make even the most inexperienced investor rich… 4) Increase your savings rate each year. “
- 10 stocks for the next 10 years by James Jubak – “Johnson Controls (JCI). The stock did amazingly well in 2010—up 42.3%–considering that two of the company’s three businesses were in sectors of the economy that had been crushed. 2011 will be a better year for the company’s auto interior and auto battery business and for its building-wide energy efficiency unit… Yingli Green Energy Holding (YGE) is my choice for a horse to ride in China’s solar industry.”
- Six investing books that never left my bookshelf – “The Intelligent Investor: This has been referred to as the “value investor’s Bible” and the title is deserved. In it, Benjamin Graham, a former Columbia professor and the mentor of Warren Buffett, outlines his value-investing philosophy.”