Welcome to the Curious Cat Investing, Economics and Personal Finance Carnival: find useful recent personal finance, investing and economics blog posts and articles.
- Why Financial Literacy Fails (and What to Do About It) by JD Roth – “‘For years, I struggled with money,’ I told my interviewer today. ‘I knew the math, but I still couldn’t seem to defeat debt. It wasn’t until I started applying psychology to the situation that I was able to make changes.’”
- Get ready for the three big financial crises of 2012 by Jim Jubak – “So in 2012 Ireland—and Greece and Portugal—are going to face a huge choice. They can either try to grind out more austerity in the midst of a EuroZone recession or they can try to renegotiate some of that debt. If you remember, the battle over Greek bank debt almost scuttled the euro this year. Well, we’re going to see the same problem again in 2012…”
- How Long Would It Take To Build A $5000/Year Dividend Cash Flow? – John is able to investing $1000 per month in a portfolio now yielding 2.86% and dividends increasing 9% a year (under historical level for the stocks included)… a bit over 7 years…
Mark Cuban, invest in yourself. Keep your cash – wait to get a bargin based on the cash your have which allows you to take advantage of market opportunities.
- Fix Your Finances and Quit Your Day Job by Miranda Marquit – “Take a look at your finances. Are you in a position where the loss of your income would impact the family’s cash flow? Does your partner have a job that could make up some of the difference? How much are you earning on the side right now?”
- Year End Tax Tips by Ryan Guina – “Harvest your losses. You can sell losing investments and offset up to $3,000 of other income per year. Any additional losses can be carried forward to future years.”
- The Value of Earning a Side Income – “Let’s assume you can generate $25,000 a year in extra income during retirement. Now you only need $75,000 in income from your retirement funds. And that means your magic number is $1.875 million ($75,000 / 4%). That’s still a lot of money, of course, but a lot less than $2.5 million.”
- Relocating to Another Country by John Hunter – “There is an increasing trend to move from the USA to another country to work and live… Recently this has picked up quite a bit; I am surprised by the velocity at which this interest in moving (I figured it would be a long term mega trend but not so drastic, so quickly). Economic changes are often quite surprising in how rapidly they move forward.”
Related: Curious Cat Management Blog Carnival